Saturday, January 12, 2013

Host a Swap to Help Others

So I am reading the book 7 by Jean Hatmaker. She used herself as a social & spiritual experiment to find a deeper faith and listen to God. For seven months, she gave something up or reduced it, choosing seven areas of her life: food, clothing, shopping, media, waste, possessions, and stress.


I am just starting the chapter on her 4th month, having read food, possessions, and clothing. And I love the book! I'm not sure I could do what she did (only each 7 foods for a month, give away 210 things in a month, and only wear 7 clothing items for a month), but she is amazing!

One idea she shared did inspire me and I am going to suggest it at work. She suggested to have an item swap at work. Everyone who wants to participate would bring things they do not need/want anymore. Hopefully this would stay above the "this is just crap" line! You can separate the items into different areas of the room: clothing, kid stuff, jewelry, gifts, decorations, etc. People can look through and take what they would like, for free! Then the things you don't need are gone from your house and you have picked up some things you may need. Anything not taken at the end of the day gets donated to a shelter or Goodwill store.

Ask all participants to donate an open amount. This money can be donated to a local charity or wherever your workplace chooses.

I hope this happens at my work!!

No comments:

Post a Comment