Thursday, January 10, 2013

To Do: Random Acts of Kindness

One of my coworkers and I were talking about Random Acts of Kindness and it got me all excited to try some! I love the idea of warming someone's heart unexpectedly. That's the best kind, really! Who doesn't love a sweet word that isn't prompted by anything?!

I started some kindness with writing letters/notes. I absolutely LOVE stationary and have lots of greeting cards as well. I find myself "saving" these cards for special occasions, but then never really using them. So I pulled my boxes (yes, plural) out and got started. I looked at both my address book and the employee list at my work. Then I got started. I wrote about ten cards and had fun delivering/mailing them. I was excited for the recipients to get their cards!

Then, I went to Pinterest for more ideas! I mean, of course, I went to Pinterest. Where else do we get ideas nowadays?! Here are some blogs I found about RAKs and a list of some I'd like to try!

It's Hue I Love - this great blogger listed her RAKs and even provided her readers with a freebie RAK card
Katherine Marie - titled "One Year of Kindness", this family celebrated a RAK each week
Baker's Gift - Quick & easy! Doesn't have to be only a Christmas gift, could do this with any oven mitt
Heart Attack (although, you might have to be sure of who you send this to, don't want to make anyone uneasy)

Ideas (created with the help of many blog posts)
-Pay for the drinks/meal for the person behind me in line
-Leave $1 bills taped to toys or other items in a dollar aisle or at the dollar store
-Pay for the groceries of someone who needs it
-Drop bakes goodies off at the post office
-Provide the secretaries at work with surprise Sonic drinks (they do so much for us!)
-Leave a 50% (or more!) tip for a waitress/waiter
-Taking new coloring books and crayons to the local children's hospital/waiting rooms
-Treats to the local library branch
-(completely) Random Easter egg hunt - I think this would be even more fun totally out of season! Fill Easter eggs with treats and coins and hide at a part. Leave an Easter basket and a note telling the finder to have a fun hunt!
-Donate toiletries and diapers to a women's shelter - include nail polish, lotions, etc.
-Pick a name in the phone book and mail them a happy note and a lucky $2 bill
-Donate diapers and wipes to a shelter
-Pick up trash at a park
-Carry someone's groceries
-Buy a pizza and have it delivered to a friends' house, don't let the delivery person tell who it's from!
-Slip a $10 or $20 bill into someone's purse or coat. This could get tricky!
-Pay for someone else's meal at a restaurant
-Send Valentines in August
-Send someone a card or package just because
-

...more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment